Over the past 30 years, this tournament, sponsored by Alex A. Campbell has raised $1,106,000.00 to support both research to eradicate cancer and to provide support for patients who come from all parts of the island and reside in the Vancouver Island Cancer Lodge while receiving treatment for cancer at the local Cancer Clinic
The Lodge provides low cost accommodation for Vancouver Island cancer patients and their families who need to travel to Victoria for their cancer treatments. In addition to providing a home away from home, it provides nursing supervision, meals and volunteer driving services. Donations make a tremendous difference and enable the Lodge to improve the quality of life for persons living with cancer. Statistics show that one in four persons are affected by various forms of this disease – twelve million Canadians will be impacted by cancer over the next five years, which will result in a doubling of the workload of the local office of the Canadian Cancer Society.
Over the years, participants have raised money for the purchase of a van to provide patients transportation to the clinic, refurbishing and redecorating the facilities at the Vancouver Island Cancer Lodge.
- Over the last six years we have supported the Vancouver Island Lodge – a 42 bed facility that supports cancer patients from up – island needing treatment in Victoria.
- in 2011 we refurbished the deck
- in 2012 we financed upgrades to their emergency call system,
- in 2013 the committee purchased a shuttle van and donated it directly to the Vancouver Island Lodge
- in 2014 we financed the new windows for the Lodge
- in 2015 we helped with new carpets and painting of the whole facility
- in 2016 we helped purchase a new steamer/convection oven, a new patient fridge and luggage carts
- in 2017 we helped with new furniture for the main floor lounge, a new ice machine, LED lighting upgrades and a wheelchair
By participating in this year’s tournament, you will be helping to raise funds which will allow the purchase of a new commercial dishwasher, a washer and dryer for the guests and an Automatic External Defibrillator.
Show your support by registering to play a round with your friends at one of Victoria’s premier golf courses. Enjoy dinner, team prizes, raffles, and an auction after the game.
Can’t play this year? An option is available to donate directly to support this year’s campaign.